After this ridiculousness involving a TV personality, a donut shop, and a scarf that was most definitely not intended to have any political significance, someone on Facebook started a "Wear Your Keffiyah with Pride Day" event. Okay, I'll do that, I thought. I own two keffiyahs, neither of which was purchased at Urban Outfitters, and I haven't had much chance to wear them since my days at Bir Zeit on the Hudson. So this morning I put on my keffiyah and marched over to my local Dunkin Donuts. Of course, as I approached the Dunkin Donuts, there was an Arab-American woman in a hijab coming out. I wondered what she was thinking. Is it (a) hey, that's cool, a white girl wearing a keffiyah--solidarity!; (b) CULTURAL APPROPRIATION!; or (c) my small child is about to run into the street? Does she know why I am lingering around said donut shop? I considered asking her to take my picture, but as she did have a small child who was about to run into the street, I didn't think she'd be receptive.
My plan was to take a picture of myself wearing my keffiyah in front of the Dunkin Donuts, preferably in front of a huge poster for iced coffee. FOILED! There were NO POSTERS in the storefront windows. None! I considered asking someone to take my picture inside, where there were large posters of iced coffee, but as it was 11am on a weekday, the Dunkin Donuts was completely full of old people, and I was not at all confident in their abilities to work a digital camera. Plus this one old guy in a Navy hat kept staring at me, so I had to go with Plan B.

Note: Miles the cat also participated in Wear Your Keffiyah with Pride Day.
No comments:
Post a Comment