Wednesday, November 11, 2009

back to gaza! and other updates

If you have noticed a precipitous decline in my rate of posting since, oh, the start of the semester, it's only because my non-blog-writing workload has been epic as of late. But, as I've learned that my brain is too fried from eight consecutive hours of class on Wednesdays to handle anything creative, it's time for some updates.

1. As you may have surmised from my sidebar, I'm going back to Gaza during winter break for the Gaza Freedom March. The march will be a direct, nonviolent challenge to the Israeli blockade and the total closure of the border crossings controlled by Israel. Along with the upcoming Viva Palestina joint US-UK convoy, it will be quite possibly the largest mobilization of internationals to Palestine in history. Already, 500 people from 32 countries have signed up to participate in the march, including Alice Walker, Walden Bello, and current and former government officials from several nations. We expect to be joined on the march by some tens of thousands of Palestinians--the exact number remains unclear, but the list of endorsers from Palestinian civil society is impressive.

My first trip to Palestine was more amazing than I could have ever possibly imagined--horrible, yes, but incredible, too. I started from a position of solidarity with the Palestinians and what I would consider to be an above-average knowledge of the region and its politics (at least for an American), and I was still completely transformed by the experience of actually going there. Those six days shaped my understanding of the world in ways I'm still just beginning to understand. I can't wait to go back and I feel so lucky to have the chance to participate in what I think will be a historic action. I cannot think of a better way to greet 2010 than with some nonviolent direct action in solidarity with the Palestinian people.

If you would like to participate in the Gaza Freedom March, I think it will pretty much rock your world. Register on the website by November 30.

2. For anyone in the Los Angeles area, I will be speaking on Palestine at the Southern California Socialist Conference, happening November 21-22 at USC. Despite what the website says, my session will in fact be from 1:30-3 on Saturday. Check out a single session or the whole conference; there will be some awesome speakers, including a keynote by Mike Davis.

3. Also for those in Los Angeles: after my session at the conference, you can head right down the street to a citywide organizing meeting for the movement for boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) against Israel. Activists will be strategizing about ways to protest the LA Department of Water & Power's cooperation with the Israeli national water company.

No comments:

Post a Comment