Sunday, March 14, 2010

just a brief note to say...

...that for most of the past two days, when I'm supposed to be working on finishing my thesis, I have been reading this blog, by Jess, a 20-something English and theater nerd who is reading all seven Harry Potter books for the first time.

Jess's commentary is fresh, funny, irreverent and loving all at the same time, and is providing a vicarious thrill to many a Harry Potter aficionado as we relive a little bit the twists, turns, thrills, chills, reveals and payoffs of this immensely complex series. I'm going to have to parcel out reading this one carefully instead of rushing through it like an actual Harry Potter book, because it's a treasure trove of exactly the kind of smart-but-not-too-stuffy commentary I have been looking for.

This is why I love the internets. I can't quite remember the chain of events that led me to stumble across this blog, but I think it was by link-hopping from the comments on this--which, may I say, looks hilarious and awesome. In the process I also found Back to Hogwarts, by a dedicated fan who is re-reading and writing commentary on all the books in time for the final movie release. This is such a great idea I might start doing it myself, after graduation when I have proper amounts of time to read books. Although I've gone back and read my favorite bits of the series now and then, I've never re-read completely all the way through from start to finish, knowing what I know now about the end. Starting on July 31 seems like a pretty sweet idea, but that will depend on what May and June hold; I may not be able to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment