Sunday, December 14, 2008

catherine hardwicke canned by "twilight" producers

Despite the fact that I skewered Twilight in my review on Scarlett Cinema, I was just as pissed as the next aspiring female filmmaker to learn that Catherine Hardwicke has been booted as director for the film's two planned sequels, New Moon and Eclipse. (Plans to film the series's gruesome and bizarre fourth book are not yet finalized.)

Say what you will about the film's quality (and believe me, I have). There is no doubt that it was a resounding commercial success, and will probably end up as one of the top ten grossing films of 2008. And, while I have my beef with the Twilight series, I believe very little of what leaves a bad taste in my mouth can be laid at the feet of Hardwicke herself.

While production company Summit Entertainment is reporting that the decision was due to "scheduling conflicts," at least one blogger, Nikki Finke at Deadline Hollywood, is reporting that Summit found Hardwicke "'difficult' and 'irrational'" and her agent Beth Swofford "alternately ineffectual and hysterical."

While the real truth may never be known, it's pretty hard not to see Hollywood's double standard at work here. "I can't help thinking that a guy director who's brought in over $140 million on a budget of under $40 million would be treated differently," noted Melissa Silverstein at Women and Hollywood.

And who will be replacing Hardwicke? Why, the producer of American Pie! Okay, to be fair, Chris Weitz also directed the well-respected About a Boy. But still...

No comments:

Post a Comment