Monday, March 30, 2009

hope and high explosives

Some of you may have seen this video clip when I posted it on my Facebook profile, or when I sent it out to my feature class. But if you have not--this is what I have been writing about this semester.

The Gaza Strip is completely surrounded by a fence, which becomes a 40-foot-high wall at the Egyptian border. But for a week in January 2008, the Gaza Strip went from being the world's biggest prison to having the most open border on the face of the planet, thanks to some creative use of high explosives. After being driven to the brink of starvation by Israel's total closure of all border crossings, as many as half the residents of the Gaza Strip crossed the border into Egypt to buy food, fuel, and any of the thousands of basic commodities that are not allowed into Gaza under Israel's blockade. For many residents, including adults in their 20s and 30s, this was their first time setting foot outside Gaza.

For more on this story, I bring you this, my friends: the most awesome news clip in the history of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment