Tuesday, May 19, 2009

don't you hate it when...

...you start to revise something, and it's like you start pulling at one little thread, then you realize that thread is connected to this whole damn sweater of a screenplay?

The process goes kind of like this: Okay, I got some excellent notes. I know I need to strengthen this element. Ooh! I could add this. Oh, but then I'd have to change that. And if I change that I have to change THAT. And I really like THAT...and THAT is pretty central to this character's arc, which I spent so much time carefully lining up, and...oh, goddammit all to hell! I'm going to forget this and entertain myself with some Lolcats instead.

It's when you see whole chunks of the screenplay starting to shift like so many precarious Jenga blocks, and have no idea if you're pulling out the right pieces, that you start to get nervous, and really miss the nuggets of wisdom from certain teachers who probably could have helped with this situation, had you been organized enough to get them the script just a bit earlier in the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment