My thesis class got to meet our professor for the first time on Thursday. She's been an unknown quantity for a while since she was (gasp!) busy making a movie, so none of us really knew what to expect from her, beyond the fact that she is (to my knowledge) the only female feature writing professor at USC. I can't speak for the rest of my class, but the following things seem to be definite positive signs:
1. She has a super chill, down-to-earth, calm energy.
2. She puts a lot of emphasis on character development.
3. She differentiated between "ideas that come from your head and those that come from your heart/gut/some other part of your anatomy"--the latter being more rewarding to work with.
4. She described her film taste as "European."
5. She stressed that the main thing we should come out of grad school with is a strong sense of our own unique voice as a writer. I kind of think I'm well on my way to this already--I've got my box, as my TV teacher would say--but I'm very happy to be working with a professor who articulates this as a clear goal.
Do I have any idea what I'm going to write for my thesis script? Hell no! I'm trying not to think too hard about it quite just yet. But I'm already excited about next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment